Pancake Recipe: Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
These pancakes have been a staple in my home for a good few years now for so many reasons - you don't have to rummage through your cupboards or run to the shops to make sure you have the ingredients, they're super easy to make and they're incredibly tasty.
This stack of deliciousness is full of protein, has a natural sweetness from the bananas (that can trick your taste buds into thinking you're eating dessert) and are pretty darn healthy. We've eaten more of these pancakes at Brighton Girl HQ than we care to admit!
These are the kind of pancakes to have at any time of day - for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a hearty snack. Pancakes all day every day, that's the dream right?
I've also included recipes for my favourite toppings to give you a bit of inspiration on what to serve them with. Let's tuck in!
The pancake mix
1 medium banana (the more ripe the better)
2 tbsp oil
- Break the banana into chunks and mash well in a bowl
- Crack the egg into the bowl and whisk
- Prepare a frying pan on medium heat with the oil
- Using a ladle, spoon into the hot pan
- When the top appears firm and bubbles slightly, flip the pancake
- Serve with a drizzle of honey, some almond butter and/or mixed berry compote (recipes below)
Easy-peasy almond butter
250g almonds (I buy in bulk from Grape Tree on George St, Hove)
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
- Put all ingredients into a food processor (a good food processor, not a blender, is the key here)
- Blend, blend, blend
- Continually stop the food processor and scrape down the sides
- Stop the food processor when the consistency is smooth and creamy (this should take between 8 - 15 minutes). If the almond butter isn't coming together or isn't creamy enough, add more coconut oil.
Mixed berry compote
50g of your favourite mixed berries, fresh or frozen (I use frozen strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants in a pack from the supermarket)
2 tbsp honey
- Prepare a small pot or pan on medium heat
- Place the berries in the pot and stir until defrosted/soft
- Mash berries with a masher or a fork
- Add honey and stir
- Let the compote simmer and thicken
Written by Sofaya.